Dear Parents & Caregivers,
Please see important information regarding daily school attendance and explanation of absences.
CEDP promotes daily school attendance. Going to school every day is the single most important part of your child’s education.
If your child is sick or absent you are required to notify their school on the first day of absence if at all possible. All explanations to the school must be provided within 7 days from the first day of any period of absence.
Absences can be explained using one of the following methods:
- SMS: respond with reason to school notification of absence
- Email: the school at [email protected]
- Telephone: the school office 02 96546700
- Note sent with your child
Where an explanation has not been received within the 7 day timeframe or the explanation has not been accepted, the school will record the absence as unexplained or unjustified on the student’s record. The school will not be able to accept explanations which are not received within the 7 day timeframe.
Justified reasons for student absences may include:
- being sick or having an infectious disease
- having an unavoidable medical appointment
- being required to attend a recognised religious holiday
- exceptional or urgent family circumstances e.g. attending a funeral
Why do I need to notify the school if my child is absent?
Parents of children aged 6 to 17 years are legally required to ensure their children attend school every day or provide an explanation if they are absent. Notifying the school and providing an explanation for your child’s absence will fulfil this legal responsibility.
The safety and wellbeing of students are the highest priorities for schools. Parents need to know if their child isn’t at school, and schools need to know when and why a child is absent. Notifying the school of your child’s absence helps ensure the safety and wellbeing of all children in school.
What is your responsibility?
- Ensure your child attends school every day
- Notify the school immediately if your child is absent
- Provide an explanation for any absences within 7 days
- Make sure the school has your correct contact details so that you can receive attendance information about your child
Ms Liz Sproats
Acting Leader of Learning – Pastoral Care