Dear Parents & Caregivers,
Please find important information and conditions regarding senior student drivers for Year 12, 2020.
This information can also be found on Marian Connect (School Policies & Procedures – Senior Students) and also attached to this notification (Student Drivers). If your son/daughter will be driving to school, please read through the following information and fill out the parent permission and student acknowledgment.
Students and their parents should read the following conditions regarding student drivers. Retain this information as a ready reckoner on how to proceed if you wish to drive to school and park on Parish/School premises. Permission to drive to school and park on school premises is a privilege, not a right, and there are strict penalties in place if students choose to ignore the conditions set out for student drivers.
ALL STUDENT DRIVER CONDITIONS ARE BASED ON THE FOLLOWING:
- The College’s duty of care owed to students and parents;
- The need for the College authorities to be aware of students’ whereabouts whenever they are at school or engaged in any school-based activity;
While the College does not encourage the use of motor vehicles by students owing to liability and the lack of parking spaces, we nevertheless realise that there are exceptional circumstances. Therefore, if the parents and College mutually agree upon the circumstances, permission may be granted for a student to drive to and from school and use the school parking area assigned for Senior students.
Any student given permission to drive to school may only drive the vehicle nominated on the Driving Proforma to and from the College. The student must complete a new application if there is a change of vehicle so that the Vehicle Registry is updated.
Students are not permitted to leave the College during the day unless they have permission from the Year 12 Leader of Learning or the Leader of Learning – Pastoral Care. Students are not permitted to drive their vehicle to any school based activity e.g. sports carnivals, excursions, Marian Day, MCCAF practice, etc. unless they have written permission from the Year 12 Leader of Learning or the Leader of Learning – Pastoral Care.
PERMISSION TO DRIVE PROFORMA – STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILITY IN APPLYING
- Complete ALL of the details on the Permission to Drive Proforma;
- Ask a parent / caregiver to sign the completed proforma to indicate that they have approved of everything that they have stated on the application form;
- Lodge the application form through School Stream.
Once the Permission to Drive Proforma has been submitted via School Stream, allow a two-day processing period for the Year 12 Leader of Learning to issue the student with a Driving Permit which must be clearly displayed on the dashboard of the student’s nominated vehicle whenever it is on Parish/School premises.
DIRECTIONS FOR STUDENT DRIVERS
A Student Driver must abide by the following:
- Only park in the visitor and student car park near St Madeleine’s in an orderly fashion.
- Display the driving permit on the dashboard of the nominated vehicle whenever it is parked on Parish/School premises.
- Do not enter the car park during the day unless you have permission from the Year 12 Leader of Learning or the Leader of Learning – Pastoral Care.
- Sign in at student foyer, using your Student ID card, if you arrive late or leave early. Any required permission and/or note of explanation must be provided.
- Obey the traffic rules and drive carefully in the student car park.
- Obey the 10 km/h speed limit and drive safely within the Parish/School grounds.
- Do not leave school during the school day FOR ANY REASON without the written permission and/or approval of the Year 12 Leader of Learning or the Leader of Learning – Pastoral Care.
NOTE: Breaches of the conditions outlined or any other school policies will result in consequences which may include a 10 week ban from driving and parking on the school premises.
OTHER STUDENTS TRAVELLING IN THE VEHICLE
The College holds no responsibility for students travelling in the student driver’s car. However, it is in the student’s best interest that parents, caregivers and school authorities are aware of student passengers in a vehicle.
PROCESSING THE REQUEST TO DRIVE
Please allow two days for the Year Leader of Learning to process the Permission to Drive request.
Once the request is processed the driver will receive an Acknowledgement Slip which reads:
To: The Designated Driver
Permission has been granted for you to Drive to School.
Parking on School grounds (in the designated student car park) can occur from Monday 4th November, 2019.
You will be given a Driving Permit which must be displayed on the nominated vehicle’s dashboard whenever your vehicle is parked within the College premises. If you change vehicles, you must inform Student Reception in order to update the Driving Registry.
Please fill out the Permission to Drive Proforma below.
Mr David van der Meer
Year 12 Leader of Learning